Craig Wisner

Retreat! 1/27-1/28, 2012

My son and I headed into our local hills for a typical overnight on Friday; roasted sausages, lounging around and talking, reading- the typical plan.  We got a late start, not getting to the trailhead until it was nearly dark and the winds were picking up.  I was a bit concerned when I heard the radio report on the drive in: Santa Ana winds picking up through S. CA, gusts of up to 80MPH predicted in canyons and passes.  Everything looked calm enough upon our arrival; my son said he was still up for it, windstorms or not, so we began hiking.

(In the back of my mind wondering if heading into the mountains in a windstorm with my 10 year old was foolish thing to be doing- visions of falling rock and trees, disaster…)

An hour or two later, we’re cutting down a rocky hillside towards our intended camp, through yucca and talus, I’m leading the way by headlamp as my son follows a few yards behind.  My hurried descent is immediately halted by a loud cry from behind- whirling around, I found him on the floor, clutching his ankle.

(Why did I have a bad feeling about this trip from the beginning?  He looks like he’s really in pain.)

As I approach him, assessing the situation, visions of alternate outcomes immediately appear; I’m carrying him out of the canyon in the dark, packs lashed together.  Or I stash the gear to carry him out faster.  Fortunately, my rational side has always been dominant in these situations, and though I cannot say I wasn’t worried, I calmly dropped my pack to tend to him.  He twisted his ankle pretty badly.  I carried him to a level spot, propping him up with his foot elevated.  Tears, pain, consumed by the moment, the inability of youth to be able to rationalize suffering and push through without completely losing composure.

It didn’t look that bad; no immediate swelling or color.  Tears subsided, he calmed down, I started to set up camp after giving him a snack.  He’d be fine, perhaps sore in the morning.

We ate, relaxed, he retired to the shelter early to lay down and read (still in some pain).  I stayed up outside for another hour or two, drank a little wine, watched Orion slip across the sky and out of site behind a canyon wall.

The winds were picking up at around the time I was hanging our food and getting ready for bed.

(Glancing upward at the trees as I climbed into the shelter, wondering if any could fall on us if the winds were bad enough: visions of a crushed tent, getting pinned, my son leaving for help?   I took care to situate us far as far from the trees a possible.)

I began to doze as the the canyon began to really roar.  You could hear each gust on its journey down, shaking trees and echoing off the walls as it approached.  My son was asleep, oblivious, as I braced for each new barrage…eventually drifting to sleep myself.

I awake to what sounds like branches cracking, a pop, and the sound of metal on rock.  I jump up in my bag to find the shelter torn from above us, the sound of two stakes bouncing off of rocks as they fly away, wind howling.  My son is immediately up as well, I snap him to it by telling him to hold the center pole of our ‘mid- he does so in a bewildered shock.  Unable to find one of the stakes, I make a wooden deadman and get the corners secured again.  After some effort and re-tensioning, the shelter seems to be holding, despite gusts of at least 40-50MPH.  The stakes that pulled were both 8″ Y stakes, each pounded in fully and topped off with a watermelon-sized river rock.  I doubled the rocks this time.

My son promptly forgets the incident and falls back asleep.  I’m fully aware that I’m the one that has to worry, that it’s going to be a long night.  Upon getting back into the tent, I realize I’ve lost one Montbell pillow (my son’s), a cuben stuffsack for a sleeping bag, the stuffsack for my shelter, one of my son’s magazines, and a beanie.  Robbed in the night.  I step back outside to look and realize it’s completely futile; they’re a mile down the canyon by now.

The wind rages on, actually beginning to escalate.  Debris is getting whipped into our shelter, the walls are flapping violently with each gust.  Within an hour or two, another stake pops, rendering the entire shelter useless again. I climb out to fix it, but this time find that the grossgrain stake loop is 80% torn from the body of the tent.  Had the stake not pulled, it appears that it was on the verge of tearing.  I re-anchor it, this time again using a 2″ thick stick as a deadman, but my confidence in the fabric is low.  I lay down for another hour or two of fitful sleep, all stakes still holding, but both of us wake by 3AM and decide we’d rather hike out in the dark than sit in the tent for another couple hours until it’s light.  So we pack up from within the shelter, exit, and quickly take it down.

Hand in hand, headlamps on, my son limps out beside me in the dark, steadying himself against the gusts as we walk.  The poor guy loses his balance in a gust during a river crossing and goes in waist deep.  Between his ankle, the wind, and now the cold, he’s getting pushed pretty hard.  We find ourselves back at the car by 5 AM.

Sitting beside me in the warmth of the car’s heater, driving back down the mountain, he says that despite the wind, his soaked pants, and his hurt ankle, it was still a fun trip.

“Dad, are there any more flamin’ hot Cheetos in your bag?”

All the bad is promptly forgotten, good memories remain, and mom is only told about how crazy the weather was and how he hurt his ankle and fell in the river but is over it…


2 responses

  1. “…it was still a fun trip.”


    January 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

  2. It’s all about them flamin’ hot Cheetos boy!

    “Tears, pain, consumed by the moment, the inability of youth to be able to rationalize suffering and push through without completely losing composure.”

    Good insight into being a father Craig, these words are a good reminder for me. My son is 3 and I have much to learn.

    January 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s